05 octubre 2005

Thought one:
Along with about 28 new letter, English also needs to incorporate usted somehow. Let's bring back "thou" for familiar and "you" for formal, because honestly, this grammatical *egalitarianism* is so uncouth.

Thought two:
If you are ever in a group of people and bored, here's an exercise to try: look (very covertly) at people and see if you can mentally morph their features into how they looked as children. Many hours of fun, I promise.

Thought three:
What, exactly, makes something funny?! Why are some people considered funny and others not? What is it that comments spark within us that produces laughter?

Thought four:
"Educable" and "nonsensical" are great words.

Thought five: re: cliches

Cliches are very useful, as they provide us with a whole bunch of readily packaged meaning without using "a whole lot" of words. Yet we get to the point where we hear a cliche and absorb the associations we have to that cliche... NOT to the meaning behind it. I'm not sure if that's a completely accurate postulate, but hey, "we have to start somewhere," right?

As Christians, we've especially "got to work on this"... this morning, I heard an unnamed speaker justifying the new chapel LeTU is constructing. This speaker used "worship" about 5 or 6 times, always in reference to that which we would more merrily do within a $12 million dollar edifice. Since i had already been thinking on this, particularly about the word "worship," the usage was highly amplified in my hearing. As my ire rose, I had to remind myself that the special concept I associate with that word was not apprehended by some great intellectual movement on my part... God used many different sources in my life to transform that word from being only the last part of "praiseandworship" to being something very sacred.

The point? ...the need for consciousness about words in general and Church-speak in particular.

I like this subject and shall return...