02 mayo 2006

'Let not the one who puts on his armor boast like the one who takes it off.'"


family and casa
Originally uploaded by larebe87.

35 hours, vatos mios...

35 hours, 3 finals, 3.5 journals, and not-an-excessive amount of coffee...

remind me to tell yall why i like peru so much some time.
...some time later:

Ahhh... sweet bliss and no more school. DEATH TO SCHOOL. for a while at least.

25 hours, 0 journals, 0 finals, 1 three hour car ride, 2 flights, 3 airports, 120 lbs luggage, 1 luggage pickup, 1 customs dealio, 4 very special brothers... SWEEEEEEEET.

An excerpt from today:

Nahum 1:2 God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth and is furious; the LORD will take vengeance on His adversaries, and He reserveth wrath for His enemies. 6Who can stand before His indignation? and who can abide in the fierceness of His anger? His fury is poured out like fire, and the rocks are thrown down by Him.


Nahum offers comfort to the oppressed Israelites by proclaiming impending judgment on their Assyrian rulers. In the first chapter, he expresses how the “judgment side” of the Lord will very shortly be revealled. For a change in Hebrew prophetic literature, the prophet’s words are not aimed at rebellious Hebrews, but at their enemies!


Unlike the Jews, I automatically correlate God’s judgment as relating to “others.” In fact, in prophetic literature, I generally side with God as His words burn against the “rebellious ones.” Perhaps I could use a bit of the Hebrew perspective of this passage. How would my casual reading change if I had just narrowly escaped the Lord’s just wrath, or if I was undergoing punishment for my sin as I read? What if I remembered how it felt to have my Everlasting Father furious at me? What if I, who have “sonship” by the Spirit, was a recent enemy with the full load of God’s wrath aimed at me?


If I recall correctly, Jonathan Edwards preached somewhat of a similar sermon with some very dramatic effects. God hates sin passionately. How do we think He feels about those who love it with the same desire? I believe that if we were really to consider what it feels like to have the wrath of God burning against us, we would appreciate our salvation a lot more. We would fear God with an intense gratitude. We might get a little emotional about our security in Christ. We might stand in a bit more awe at the worth of the blood of Christ to avert the rage of God aimed at our souls. The Lord’s Supper might mean a bit more. We might be a bit more wondrous at the Gospel. We might have a bit more pathos when it comes to viewing the lost. We might see eternity a bit clearer. Thank the Lord for His prophets to remind us of such things.

1 Comments:

Blogger berekkah said...

you should see the place in person.

martes, 09 mayo, 2006  

Publicar un comentario

<< Home