08 noviembre 2007

to put the periodic table of the elements into context...

... I present to you my g, Frederica, in The World and the Grail via FIRST THINGS ONLINE: 6 NOV. 2007:

"I was also arrested by the thought that matter cannot be created or destroyed. That would mean that everything that has ever existed - every tree, every jeweled crown, every house, every piece of clothing- is still here somewhere, though in a disassembled state..."

* * * *

"... atoms are not only abundant but 'fantastically durable. Because they are so long-lived, atoms really get around.'... 'Every atom you possess has almost certainly passed through several stars and been part of millions of organisms on its way to becoming you. We are each so atomically numerous and so vigorously recycled at death... "

* * * *

"Now it seems as if these atoms [that make up my body] are in a temporary federation, agreeing to live together for some decades in order to provide a habitation for 'me,' whatever that is. [...] Today atoms of my body are working diligently together like the citizens of an ant colony. One day I'll clonk over, and they'll tell each 'Bye!' and cheerfully go off to be a part of seals and salamanders and office buildings and (I don't like this thought much) other people."

* * * *

science gets downright mystical at the end. huh... the End. that could be a pun, apparently...